Saturday, June 4

New Book!

I just got the best book ever.

I'm so excited.  I've been reading it for the past 2 hours now.  I know, you're all wondering what could be so fascinating, aren't you?  Well, fine, I'll tell you.  It's a marvel of a book, and it's called Baking with Julia.

Okay, so maybe that doesn't really count as a book.  But it's got a lot of reading in it! It's a collaborative baking book based on the PBS Series hosted by Julia Child, and it's fantastic.  I can't even contain myself right now.  It's got breads, cakes, pastries, pies, everything.  And it's instructional too!  A real chance to improve my baking skills!  A lot of the recipes in here are way out of my league right now, but I am convinced I will master them someday.

The book starts with a section on basic batters and doughs that most of the other recipes are based off of.  So, my new summer goal: master all of these basic batters and dough.  This includes flaky pie dough, choux paste, meringue, perfect genoise, ladyfinger genoise, sheet genoise, brioche, puff pastry, danish pastry, and croissant dough.  Man, that looks more difficult all written out.  Okay, maybe my goal will be just to attempt all of them.  We'll see how successful I am before I try to master anything.

In other news, I am (once again) on a lack-of-sleep cycle, so these posts may come more frequently and with less content as I slowly drift into my fatigue-induced madness.  Hopefully it will at least be entertaining for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment